Relationship Violence FAQs
wHAT IS RELATIONSHIP VIOLENCE? +
Relationship violence is any physical or sexual harm against an individual by a current or former spouse or partner.
HOW CAN i help A VICTIM OF RELATIONSHIP VIOLENCE +
If someone you know is a victim of relationship violence, here are ways you can help:
- Avoid shaming the victim. Remember that your friend or family member did not ask to be abused and it may be difficult to get out of a relationship due to finances, children, dependency issues, and/or lack of a support system.
- Develop a safety plan with the victim.
- Listen to the victim and let him/her know that you are there to support him/her.
- Provide University Resources and off-campus resources. Explain to the victim what his/her options are without making decisions for the victim or pushing him/her to make a decision. When the victim is ready, he/she will make the choice to leave.
- Please see: https://letsbeclear.ucf.edu/offer-support/as-a-friend/