Supporting Someone Experiencing Relationship Violence
Lending a helping hand means everything
Helping a Victim-Survivor of Intimate Partner Violence
If someone you know is a victim of relationship abuse, here are ways you can help:
- Avoid shaming the victim.
- Remember that your friend or family member did not ask to be abused and it may be difficult to get out of a relationship due to finances, children, dependency issues, and/or lack of a support system.
- Develop a safety plan with the victim.
- Listen to the victim and let them know that you are there to support them.
- Provide University resources and off-campus resources.
- Explain to the victim what their options are without making decisions for the victim or pushing them to make a decision.
- When the victim is ready, they will make the choice to leave.